Akram, one of Free to Feed's chefs is a true personality and was a TV cooking show host in Iran! Here she shares her favourite mocktail recipe.
2 tbs sweet basil seeds
100ml water, boiling
1 tbs dried hibiscus flowers
3 cups sugar
600gm white vinegar
1 Lebanese cucumber
1/4 bunch mint
- Place basil seeds in a heatproof bowl, pour enough boiling water to cover the seeds. Allow to sit for 10 minutes & set aside.
- Place dried hibiscus into small saucepan, cover with 100ml water. Bring to the boil and steep for several minutes or until the colour develops.
- Place sugar and vinegar into another saucepan, stir and place on stove, heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to cool (this can be made the day prior and refrigerate).
- Peel ribbons of cucumber, pick sprigs of mint.
- Place a sprig of mint in the bottom of each glass, top with several ice cubes.
- Add tsp basil seeds and tsp hibiscus water.
- Top with 100ml sugar, vinegar syrup, cucumber ribbon and chilled water.
- Serve with a spoon.