The devastation of the fires is a terrifying reminder of the fragility of our natural environment. We have watched our country burn and despaired over the destruction of native flora and fauna. The work to rehabilitate burnt habitat and assessing the impact to wildlife numbers will be a long term undertaking.
Beyond initial donations made to Red Cross Australia and VIC Wildlife at ELK we wanted to continue raising funds and to focus our attention on specific projects. I put in a call to a dear friend and artist Meeri Anneli whose illustrations we have always admired. We had an idea to print one of our tees with one of her beautiful drawings, raising funds for the bushfire relief efforts. There was no hesitation and Meeri immediately came back with an incredible drawing and a suggestion to focus our attention on a project close to her heart - the Kangaroo Island Glossy Black-Cockatoo conservation program.
We are pleased to donate 100% of the profits from sales of the tees with monies going to the Nature Foundation SA who manage funds for the Kangaroo Island Glossy Black-Cockatoo Recovery Program. Their focus is on:
- Assessing damage to feeding and breeding habitats.
- Installing artificial nesting boxes in areas where food is still sufficient, before the 2020 breeding season starts.
- Ensuring that every nest tree is protected from possums, the main predator of the glossy black-cockatoo.
- Monitoring nesting success rates and population size to help prioritise additional conservation work.
- Determining how burnt habitats will regenerate, and where additional tree planting is required and will be effective.
- Minimising any damage to the unburnt habitat that remains
A beautiful idea that could only be made possible through the kindness of others, the ELK X MEERI ANNELI tees were printed using non-toxic ink by New Model Beauty Queen, who reduced their printing costs.
Each tee will also be accompanied by a postcard further explaining the Kangaroo Island Glossy Black-Cockatoo Recovery Program, printed for free by Morning Star Press.
Shop to donate to a wonderful cause, and be quick! We only have limited numbers.
Thank-you for you kindness and generosity and stay tuned for many more passion projects to come.